Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Mild rantings from a quiet feminist

On this International Women's Day I wish I could say that I went out and stood up for equality and justice. Instead I spent the day doing laundry, grocery shopping, baking and trying to coax my daughter into eating her veggies. Not a list for the feminist books.

I don't think of myself as a particularly political person, but coming from the UK there are policies in this country that confound me; health care and maternity leave to name two that I have been personally affected by. And as I listened to NPR while driving between errands, I felt proud that there are so many women out there fighting to make the US a more progressive place. I also felt exasperated that we aren't there yet.

I am not here to make controversial statements or start a debate, so I will keep my list of political grievances to myself. But I am a woman and these issues are true for me. So while I didn't physically take a stand today, I am adding my voice to the chorus: women's rights are human rights.

2 comments:

  1. I like our little summary of your day and how you joined International Women's Day with your own thoughts and reflection. Sometimes this is enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your voice has been added and heard!

    ReplyDelete